K231 Stereo 3-Way Active Crossover
Big News! We're planning to launch a Kickstarter Campaign to help us ramp up K231 mass production! Check out our Preview Page for more info. It's important that you add your name to our mailing list or contact us directly so we know you're interested!
Introducing the new 3rd generation K231 2-Way or 3-Way Electronic Crossover.
Upgrades in the 3rd Gen unit include:
- High quality internal bi-polar analog power supply with a total of 20,000uF of filter caps and Mu Metal transformer shielding. This new power supply gives a dramatic improvement in the clarity, definition and punch of the low end.
- Changing to a bi-polar power supply has allowed us to make major improvements in the balanced signal input and output circuitry, improving the noise rejection
- Improved support for selection of 2-way or 3-way crossover modes. We've replaced the old method with a simple slide switch to select the mode. This also fixes an issue where the sub-woofer mixer was not available in 2-way mode.
Transform Your Sound System with Professional Grade Active Bi-Amping or Tri-Amping.
The K231 Stereo Electronic Crossover significantly improves the audio quality of your sound system by separating the high, mid and low frequency sounds using ultra low noise, high precision active filter circuits. This allows the use of a separate power amplifier channel for each speaker driver, and eliminates the need for passive crossovers. The result is a massively improved level of clarity and lower distortion of the sound produced. This is called Active Bi-Amping or Tri-Amping.
Our primary goal with the K231 is to bring the massive benefits of high quality analog active bi-amping into the price range that is affordable to the average audiophile. The K231 uses the highest quality audiophile grade components, and has specs that easily match those of the higher priced electronic crossovers such as Bryston and Marchand, but without the huge price tag.
- Linkwitz-Riley filters, 4th order 24dB/Octave or 2nd order 12dB/Octave filter slope
- High precision 0.1% filter components for pinpoint XO frequency selection and ultra low distortion
- Heavy internal Mu Metal shielding to prevent transformer noise from entering the audio paths
- Allows you to add a sub-woofer to vintage audio equipment lacking LFE
- Supports 4-way or 5-way operation by cascading two K231's
- All analog design using only the highest quality audiophile grade components:
- Burr-Brown op-amps ~ Legendary audiophile grade op amps with .00005% Distortion
- Metalized Polypropylene Film capacitors with 2% precision
- Metal film resistors with 1% and 0.1% precision
- ALPS metal film potentiometers
- Crossover frequency and slope is selected through pluggable 'XO Modules'
- Wide range of XO Modules are available to support any crossover frequency
- Optional Sub channel L/R mixer to support a mono sub-woofer channel
- Supports both Balanced and Unbalanced audio signaling on all inputs and outputs
- Sub, Mid and High output gain front panel adjustments
- Baffle Step Compensation, with adjustable gain and selectable baffle size ranges
- Made in USA
- 45 Day No-Hassle Return
- THD Better than 0.0005%
- THD+N: Better than 0.0028%
- IMD : Better than 0.0058%
- SNR: 120dB
- Channel Crosstalk Less than -83dB
- Frequency Response: Linear from 10Hz - 250KHz
- CMRR (balanced input): Better than 70dB
- Input Impedance: 20K ohms unbalanced, 40K ohms balanced
- Input Signal Max: 5.5V
- Insertion Gain: Adjustable -9dB to +8dB
- Filter Topology: Linkwitz-Riley, Constant Voltage, 4th Order, 24dB/Octave
- Enclosure: Aluminum Extruded Chassis
- Dimensions: 6.5”W x 6.5”D x 2.5”H
- Shipping Weight: 2.5 lbs
- Power Supply: Internal Analog Bi-polar, 20,000uF total filter cap
- AC: 115/230 VAC, using standard C13 plug
Audio Signal Inputs:
- Stereo Balanced: ¼” TRS Jacks
- Stereo Unbalanced: RCA jacks
Audio Signal Outputs:
- Stereo Balanced High, Mid, Low: ¼” TRS Jacks
- Stereo Unbalanced High, Mid, Low: RCA Jacks
Preview the K231 User Manual (.pdf)
We stock the following XO Module frequencies. When ordering, please specify your desired 'Sub' and 'Mid/High' crossover frequencies, as well as the slope (12dB or 24dB/octave) in the 'Special Instructions' box on the shopping cart page:
- Any multiple of 10Hz from 40Hz-200Hz (e.g. 40Hz, 50Hz, 60Hz ... 200Hz)
- 250Hz, 275Hz, 350Hz, 450Hz
- Any multiple of 100Hz from 300Hz-4000Hz
- Any multiple of 500Hz from 4500Hz-10000Hz
You may want to experiment with various crossover frequencies and/or slopes. This can be easily done with the K231. Simply plug in a new XO Module to set a new crossover frequency.
Additional XO Modules are available here
To read more about the advantages of active Bi-Amp'ing ~ 'Making the Case for Active Crossovers vs. Passive'