K231 Stereo 3-Way Active Crossover
K231 Stereo 3-Way Active Crossover
For Bi-Amping or Tri-Amping your sound system
The K231 Stereo 3-Way Active Crossover significantly improves the audio quality of your sound system by separating the high, mid and low frequency sounds using ultra low noise, high precision active filter circuits. This allows the use of a separate power amplifier channel for each speaker driver, and eliminates the need for passive crossovers. The result is a massively improved level of clarity and lower distortion of the sound that is produce. This is called Active Bi-Amping or Tri-Amping.
- Stereo 3-way active crossover for driving separate sub, mid, and tweeter amplifiers ~ Can also be configured as a 2-Way Active Crossover
- Linkwitz-Riley crossover, 4th order, 24dB/Octave roll-off
- For Bi-Amping or Tri-Amping your sound system
- All analog design using only the highest quality audiophile grade components:
- Burr-Brown op-amps ~ Legendary audiophile grade op amps with .00005% Distortion
- Metalized Polypropylene Film capacitors
- Metal film resistors with 1% and 0.1% precision
- ALPS metal film potentiometers
- Crossover frequency is selected through pluggable 'XO Modules'
- Wide range of XO Modules are available to support any crossover frequency
- High, mid and sub channels are phase aligned to within fractions of a degree to eliminate distortion at the XO frequencies
- Optional Sub channel L/R mixer to support a mono sub-woofer channel
- Supports Balanced and Unbalanced audio signaling
- Sub, Mid and High output gain front panel adjustments
- Baffle Step Compensation, with adjustable gain and selectable baffle size ranges
- Silent On/Off – No loud ‘Thump’ when powering On or Off
- Can also be configured as a stereo 2-way active crossover
- THD Better than 0.0005%
- THD+N: Better than 0.0028%
- IMD : Better than 0.0058%
- SNR: 120dB
- Channel Crosstalk Less than -83dB
- Frequency Response: Linear from 10Hz - 250KHz
- CMRR (balanced input): Better than 70dB
- Input Impedance: 20K ohms unbalanced, 40K ohms balanced
- Input Signal Max: 5.5V
- Insertion Gain: Adjustable -9dB to +8dB
- Filter Topology: Linkwitz-Riley, Constant Voltage, 4th Order, 24dB/Octave
- Enclosure: Aluminum Extruded Chassis
- Dimensions: 6.5”W x 6.5”D x 2.5”H
- Shipping Weight: 2.5 lbs
- Power Supply: Wall Mount AC adapter, 100VAC to 240VAC input, 24VDC 500mA output, 12W
Audio Signal Inputs:
- Stereo Balanced: ¼” TRS Jacks
- Stereo Unbalanced: RCA jacks
Audio Signal Outputs:
- Stereo Balanced High, Mid, Low: ¼” TRS Jacks
- Stereo Unbalanced High, Mid, Low: RCA Jacks
Preview the K231 User Manual (.pdf)
We stock the following XO Module frequencies. When ordering, please specify your desired 'Sub' and 'Mid/High' crossover frequencies in the 'Special Instructions' box on the shopping cart page:
- Any multiple of 10Hz from 60Hz-200Hz (e.g. 60Hz, 70Hz, 80Hz ... 200Hz)
- Any multiple of 100Hz from 300Hz-4000Hz
- Any multiple of 500Hz from 4500Hz-7000Hz
XO Modules of any custom frequency are available upon request - may incur additional cost and shipping delay if we need to order the parts.
To configure the K231 to operate as a 2-Way crossover, we supply 'Sub' XO Modules set to 12Hz, which channels all audible frequencies to the 'Mid/High' crossover stage. If you want to run your K231 in 2-Way mode, just specify '12Hz' for the Sub XO, and whatever frequency you need for your 2-Way XO.
You may want to experiment with various crossover frequencies. This can be easily done with the K231. Simply plug in a new XO Module to set a new crossover frequency. Additional XO Modules are available here
Still don't know why you need to Get Active? Here's why:
Nearly all professional grade audio gear built in the last 30+ years have used ‘Electronic Active Crossovers’ in place of passive crossovers. There are many reasons for this, but the biggest reason is the quality of the sound they produce.
Passive crossovers destroy the quality of your sound and steal half of power from your amplifier. And that’s just the beginning of a long list of evils perpetrated by these antiquated devices.
Though Bi-Amping has long been used in pro-audio, the consumer audio market has not followed. Bi-amping is usually considered too expensive for the consumer audio market because of the cost of electronic active crossovers and the need for extra amplifier channels.
But that’s changing fast due to the availability multi-channel amplifiers at reasonable prices and the introduction of lower cost, high quality Electronic Active Crossovers, such as the Sublime Acoustic K231.
Comparing the cost of Bi-Amping today to the cost of high end passive crossovers, where capacitors alone can run into the hundreds of dollars, Bi-amping is now the lower cost and higher quality option today.
Anyone who’s been fortunate to hear a high quality Bi-Amp'd or Tri-Amp'd system understands the level of audio quality that can be achieved.
Customers have commented to us that after converting to Bi-Amping, their systems sound as good as $25K+ systems, and at a tiny fraction of that cost.
The first thing you’ll notice is a massive improvement in sound stage transparency and definition. You’ll begin to hear detail in your music that you never heard before. You’ll notice a widening, deepening, and increased definition of the audio image. Becoming so detailed you can pick out and locate every instrument on the stage. It sounds like every instrument is right there in the room with you. Truly breathtaking.
To read on about the many advantages of active crossovers and why you definitely need to dump your passive crossovers and switch to active Bi-Amp'ing ~ read our post 'Making the Case for Active Crossovers vs. Passive'